Nagara Nagara is a small town in Malenad region
of Karnataka. It is 17 km from Hosanagar and 83 km from Shivamogga. It was called
Bidanur (Bidanoor) earlier during the 16th century, this was
the last capital city of the Nayakas of Keladi.
 |
| Entrance to the fort |
It is scenic almost throughout the year particularly during the
monsoon season, it will be like fully green. However, I had gone there in peak
summer hence the pictures have a warm, yellowish hue.
The fort is built on a small hill, beside a lake. The fort
has a system to circulate water around it for safety.
On the hill, within the fort, there are ruins of what was a Darbar
Hall (King's Court), remains of a palace, two tanks called Akka Thangi Kola (Tanks
of two sisters), and a lone cannon lying on the ground.
Devaganga tank is a cluster of seven tanks for
bathing. Nagara in Kannada language means city. The fort is amidst green thick forests which
are (sadly) giving way to urbanisation and deforestaion. 😔
Given below are some photographs and videos that I took as I walong the fort ramparts  |
| View from the top |
 |
| Another view from the top |
 |
| View of the walls |
 |
| Bastion |
 |
| A niche on the wall |
 |
| Random view from the walls |
 |
| Smaller entrance |
 |
| Slit for firing arrows/guns |
 |
| Abandoned cannon |
Miscellaneous information
- Nearest Petrol Bunk & Puncture Shop: Thirthahalli Town (Hosanagar is closer but I do not know what they offer)
- Nearest Hotel: Thirthahalli/Hosanagar limited options.
- Nearest Police Station: Nagara Police Station (https://maps.app.goo.gl/VRggiPfu4aAiLXPc9)
- Local Hotels for Stay: Thirthahalli but many homestays in the vicinity. (use Google maps)
Pros:
a) a) Easy to approach with ample parking place at the foot of the hill.
b) Safe: I have been there only once and have not encountered any hostility or faced any shady characters.
I recommend going in the monsoons but be careful of leeches
Location: https://maps.app.goo.gl/tm1wiyDYhsfeVxZFA
Comments
Post a Comment